photo HOME_zps06s0mbvp.png  photo DIY_zpstn0vn6lt.png  photo CONTACT_zpsywgjjlni.png

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

DIY Wednesday--Dino Planter.

This is one of my favorite DIY's to date---just because it is so quirky and fun!  I have seen similar planters (also in other forms other than dinosaurs) online and on Etsy and though I am a huge advocate for buying and supporting handmade, sometimes it is just cheaper and more fun to do it yourself if you can.

What you need:
Toy Dino or another hard plastic animal to your liking--the bigger the better (got mine at Target)
Spray paint of your choice
Heavy duty kitchen knife
Plant--cactus is a good one because it does not need a lot of room for rooting and requires little maintenance.


First you will need to take your knife and carefully cut a section from your toy that the plant will end up fitting in.  This was a lot easier than I thought it'd be and took about two minutes.  Also, you will want to poke a small drainage hole in the bottom of the toy where the plant will be (sorry no picture).
Next you will need to spray paint your toy in an open and ventilated area.  If I had thought ahead a little more I would have primed it first.  So, since I did not prime it--it took two coats of spray paint and a bit of patience.


Once your toy is completely dry, all you have to do is carefully transfer your plant into your new planter--providing it with enough dirt and a little water to start.



Voila!
So easy my friends!  Waiting for the paint to dry is the most timely part of this project.  Depending on what plant/succulent you get, this project could range anywhere from $5-$10.  I am definitely going to make a couple more of these guys when I find the perfect toys.  

Just the right amount of quirky for my little home :)

Please feel free to share pictures with me if you end up doing this and let me know how it goes for you!

P.S. If you live in MN--you best be outside today!--B-E-A-utiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...