photo HOME_zps06s0mbvp.png  photo DIY_zpstn0vn6lt.png  photo CONTACT_zpsywgjjlni.png

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spring Break DIY--Wood Crate Night Stands


So, I had a hankering to get my DIY on this week during my time off for spring break.  It starting with an oops, as I botched a painting job to try to refurbish our old nightstands.  So I said, "scratch that!" and began with a blank slate.  So, being without night stands, we needed something by our bedside.  I looked on Craigslist for some cheap replacements, but I wanted something a little more unique.  Enter in craving to DIY.  I took that craving and ran with it to make some wooden crate night stands.

Supplies:






Wooden crates from Michael's Arts and Crafts $13/each.  ($11 with my educator discount--yes!)
I looked online for some cool vintage or used crates, but they were even more expensive!




 Grey acrylic paint.  I had a big tube on hand and just wanted to some to match.  In hindsight, spray paint would have been easier/faster due to the the rough surface of some of the slates of wood on the crate.  I liked the rough look, so didn't want to sand, but it was a beast to get it all coated evenly!

$1.00/ tube (3 tubes)





 These pretty little legs are from Home Depot.

2 night stands = 8 legs= $20 total ( little bit of an ouch)





 Red(ish) satin finish spray paint for the legs.
$3.59







 That brings it to a TOTAL of $48.59 ($24.29 per night stand)


Some fun accessories to add!

 




Cute napkins from World Market work great as a night stand cover...because well, I guess nightstands need covers.

2 napkins for $4.00







Letter "L" at World Market

$5.89












And all that turns into all this.....



(Hers)



(His)
 

2 comments:

  1. How did you add the legs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super easy! The legs came with screws in them, so I just found the right size drill bit, drilled holes (but made sure not to go through!) and then screwed the legs in. Takes a little muscle, but easy enough!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...