photo HOME_zps06s0mbvp.png  photo DIY_zpstn0vn6lt.png  photo CONTACT_zpsywgjjlni.png

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DIY Wednesday--Wire Wrapped Ring

So I'm going to try a new thing here.  It's no secret that I like being crafty and have whole sloo of things that I have done 'DIY' style.  So I figure I could share these things with you all so you may too enjoy the thrill of DIY!  I'll try to set aside Wednesdays for this, so stay tuned for more DIY projects.

This one is something I saw online and thought, "I could totally do that myself!" And so it is.  Its so very easy and anyone can do it.  It takes about 10-15 minutes and you can make it as unique as you want to.

Wire Wrapped Ring

Things you will need:

-Wire (you can pick some up at a bead/craft store for about $4.  There are many colors to choose from, I chose antique brass since I had  it on hand.)

-Wire cutters (or a hefty pair of scissors will do)

-Rounded or flat nosed plyers (to bend the wire)

-A bead to your liking (bead stores, Wal-mart, Michaels, Joannes, etc.)


 Place your bead in the middle of the wire (I cut a piece about 3 feet long, which is usually more than enough).


 Start to wrap one of the arms of wire in a circle.  I started with the right side.  Sometimes its easier to do it around something like a finger, marker, tube of mascara, etc.  ***Keep in mind you will want your circle to be about a size bigger than you will actually want it in the end.


 Do the same thing with the other arm of wire.  I did it around my finger this time.  It will look messy and you may think you are doing it wrong, but stick with it!!  Wind each arm of wire around about three times.


 It should now look something like this.  Both arms of wire have been wrapped around about three times each.


 Stretch out the wire arms straight so it looks like the one pictured below.


 Start to wind one of the arms around, but under the bead.  Do this about two or three times.



 Repeat with the other arm.  When they are both wound around a couple times it should look like the one pictured below.


 Take one of the arms and beging to wind it around the circle part of the ring.  You will do this essentially as many times as you want.  I just did it about three times on each side.


 FYI--this is what makes the ring smaller.  The more you wrap around the circle, the smaller it will get.  You may want to keep trying it on as you do this to make sure it ends up the size you want.


 After you have done this on both sides, snip the excess wire with your cutters or scissors so just a bit is poking out of each side.


 Use your plyers to bend the excess around the rest of the circle/ring for a smooth laying wire.  You want to make sure it is smooth otherwise you'll have one sorry finger!



And that's it!  You have your very own wire wrapped ring!

I hope my instructions were easy to read, understand and follow.

Let me know how it goes for you if you do this and feel free to comment with any questions or clarifications you need!

Have fun with DIY today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...