photo HOME_zps06s0mbvp.png  photo DIY_zpstn0vn6lt.png  photo CONTACT_zpsywgjjlni.png

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

DIY Wednesday--Bow Bookmarks


Bow Bookmarks
 


Supplies:
Ruler
Glue Gun
Paper clips
Ribbon or Fabric remnants
Wire Twist ties
Scissors




Choose a ribbon or piece of fabric to your liking and cut it into three pieces in these measurements:
Bow: 4.5" x 0.75"
Tails: 3.5" x 0.75"
Center band: 1.5" x 0.25"

Take the largest piece (your main bow) and form it into a loop overlapping the edges.  


Pinch it in the center to form your bow.  

Take the second largest piece (the tail) and fold it as you see pictured below.  Hold it tightly to the bow loop.

Use your twist tie to twist around the bow and hold together the bow and the tail.   (I trimmed the excess paper off of the tie so it is skinny as possible.)


Press the paper clip to the back side of the bow and twist the last small strip of fabric/ribbon around the bow and secure with a dot of glue--press and hold for a minute.  For extra sturdiness of the paperclip, I wrapped the last bit of the wire around it before wrapping the last piece of fabric.  This helps it to hold a little stronger. (BTW--eww....look at that grout! Yuck! I think I know what cleaning project is next on my list!)

Cut the ends of the tails as you like.  I cut them at an angle.  Also, when working with ribbon or fabric there is typically fraying of edges--for my ribbon, because of the material, I was able to gently use a lighter to melt the outer most edges so it wouldn't fray.  It worked great, but will not work on all fabrics.


These are fun to make and add a little style to your reading material!  My BFF's and I started reading a book together---does that make us a book club?--- So I thought these would be great little gifts to give them!

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be making some of these! What a cute idea & they would make perfect gifts for all of my bookworm friends!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...